 |
| I love this picture. While we were picking up yesterday the boys and my shoes were piled the hall...I decided to run up and get a pair of dads to take a family shoe picture. |
 |
| This morning, the little guys and I had the very special honor of being one of the 1,000's of Olatheians to line 151st Street paying tribute to the life...and death of Spc. Spencer Duncan. He was one of the 31 troops killed in Afghanistan when their Chinook was shot down earlier this month. |
 |
| He graduated from Olathe South in 2008. I was very very proud of the students who lined the street in front of the school. I have never in all my life seen so many teenagers be so respectful and quiet. |
 |
Since Boston's school was already going to be there,
I picked up Cade and Riley too. |
 |
| This was the procession as it approached. I didn't want to be disrespectful of the body or the family so I didn't take any more pictures after they came into view. Since the cars passed by on our side of the road we were able to see his parents as they passed. Riley asked me why they were smiling and crying at the same time. How do you explain something like that to a 9 year old? |
Yesterday the boys started back to school. It was only a 1/2 day...but they were ready!
Boston started back today...not so ready! He did start football yesterday, but classes didn't start till today. Of course he was too old to pose for a first day of school picture.
 |
| Fritz was happy to get his boys dropped off..until he got home and realized it was just me left. Now he's on the back of the couch, watching out the window till they walk home at 3:40. |
Poor family who lost their son in Afghanistan. I got all choked up when I read how Riley asked about them smiling and crying at the same time. I have a friend whose brother in law was also just recently killed in Afghanistan. Not only was he married to a wonderful women but he had a 4 year old daughter and 1 year old son. My friend asked the other day, how do you explain to a 4 year old that her daddy is never coming home and comfort a 1 year old who will never get the chance to know his father. Heartbeaking all of it!!!
ReplyDeleteLove how the town all showed support, I am sure his family was so proud!!
On a separate note, it made me sad to see Boston walking away from you, too cool for a first day of school picture. Don't they know they will always be our babies. :(
ReplyDelete