Saturday, March 28, 2009

Princess Emily's Baby Shower

I have to start this post of by telling you the funniest thing Riley said about Val's shower. We were on our way to order the petit fore's for the shower when Cade asked why boys couldn't go to the shower too. (I'm sure it had nothing to do with all the chocolate I was ordering). Riley set there for a minute and then, with the most disgusted look on his face he said "You want to see Aunt Valerie naked? You're SO gross!" After I stopped laughing it did make me pause for a minute and think about the first time I heard about giving someone a "pounding". I remember thinking "who would actually want a pounding!" For you Yanks, a pounding is the southern term for stocking a new couples pantry. Go figure...
*
So, I planned a spring themed shower for my sweet sister-in-law Valerie. Little did I know we were going to get snow! Needless to say the spring dress I planned to wear was not quite right for the weather, but Valerie was determined to wear her spring dress! She even wore little sandals.

Val's sweet mom and 2 wonderful aunts made the trip from New York. They showed up at 4 to help get ready for the shower. Anyone who has worked for me catering, or helped with the VBS meals knows...never ask to help unless you really plan to WORK! I am a very OCD slave driver. But they were troopers and we actually got done an hour early. Jeanne, Liz and Hannah all came to help too. This cancer thing has it's benefits...I hardly had to do anything!

This is Jeanne, Val and Joyce. This will be Jeanne's first granddaughter (she got no help from me in that department) and Joyce's first grandbaby! Needless to say, we are all ready to meet little Emily.

I wanted to paint letters for Emily's room, but I'm not much of a painter. Thank goodness Liz offered to paint them for me. They came out great.
As you can see in the next few pictures, I really was trying to welcome in spring. If you know me, you know that I like to make everything from scratch. This was not one of those times. I was more than happy to buy most of it ready made & to depend on Hannah to pick up the slack in the homemade department. I think everything came out beautiful!

Jeanne did the guest favors for everyone. She potted each little flower in a little tin bucket. They were so cute. The next picture is a close-up. I already killed mine when I dropped it on the way to the car & then smashed it in the door on the way in the house! This will come as no great surprise to Jeanne. Once, when I was cleaning her house she asked me to water all of her plants. I told her that I kill all green things. She informed me there was no way I could kill her plants just watering them...about a month later she asked me to stop since they were starting to die one by one.


One of my gifts for Emily was this onsie I made her. It says Princess Emily on the front & QT PI on the butt! When Derek saw it he informed Val that his daughter would not wear ANYTHING with words on the butt! A few weeks ago I gave her a short little skirt. He said she wasn't going to wear short skirts either. I think Derek & Emily may have a few issues over the next 18 years! I hope you win them all Derek!


I also made this pink tutu to go with it. & I found her a pink tutu Easter basket too! I made another tutu and onsie set for Natalie, but it's Razorback. I will post pictures after I give it to them.
We were joined by 2 little sweeties. The first is Jacob and Sarah's son Gibson & the 2nd is Lily's daughter Danica. I think just seeing them gave Val the baby itch! (32 days and counting)
It was a fun shower, and I felt so blessed to have such dear people to help me with it. I love you all and thank you so so much! Sorry the editng is worse than usual, I'm not going to even proof it!

5 comments:

  1. Looks like you did a wonderful job! Everything did look very spring like, who cares if it had snowed. Love the party favors and the food made me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much Cassie. It was AWESOME! I had such a good time. Thank you for everything.
    love you!
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassie,
    Thank you so much for your continued thoughts and prayers. They mean more than you'll ever know. We are doing really well! I talked to Eli's mommy the other day, and she seems to be doing very good as well. She has a new job (she hasn't been able to work since Eli was born, b/c of all his medical problems) and they just got a puppy. The family tries to rotate calling and sending cards, b/c we know that after the funeral people tend to forget the pain that continues long after. Thank you for your faithfulness! I'm so sorry that we missed your lunch Sunday- we were out of town. I hope that it was a huge success! I've think of and pray for you often, girl. You always look so beautiful in your head wraps! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I especially love the watering can container and buckets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am getting ready to throw a baby shower for a good friend of mine at the end of the month and have a question for you. I see on the table that you had what looks like Petit Four's did you also have a cake? We are going to have a cake and I also wanted to make some cute pacifier cookies, but I didn't know if that would be too much!

    ReplyDelete