Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I saw a beautiful woman today...

I saw a beautiful woman today as I made my way through Wal-Mart. As faces go, hers was just average. It really wasn't her face I noticed so much, but her smile as she browsed with obvious joy through the Easter isle. Was she remembering a past Easter? Or was she looking forward with anticipation to the moment her little ones would run with glee to the basket of trinkets she was lovingly placing in her cart?
*
I didn't see her again for a while, I was busy with shopping of my own. The next time I caught a glimpse of her she was standing with a look of obvious guilt as she considered the many chocolate choices before her. I watched as she reached for a bag only to quickly pull her hand back, silently reprimanding herself as she did it. I chuckled when I saw her once again reach for, and then tuck the little bag into the very corner of her basket. Almost as if not seeing it would somehow make it less there.
*
My next look at her was in frozen foods. I might not have noticed her this time, but for the obvious pain I saw creasing her brow. I immediately began to wonder...was she sick or hurt or maybe sad? Before I could really even consider the possibilities, she squared her shoulders and moved on.
*
I was making my way to the dog food when I saw her beautiful face again. This time she was standing, wistfully browsing the scrapbook isle. I imagined I knew just what she was thinking. How many times had I stood in that very same spot wanting so badly to have the time to do all the projects floating around in my mind? I watched as her fingers lightly touched a package of camping stickers...then she moved on to the pink footprint paper. Who was she thinking of when she looked at those things I wondered? The smile on her lips and the tiny creases around her eyes left me no doubt it was someone she loved.
*
As I threw myself back into my shopping I almost missed her the next time our paths crossed. She was holding up a man's shirt. It was yellow with white stripes. What caught my attention wasn't the shirt, but the look of love on her face as she held it. Was she thinking about how much she loved the man that would soon wear it? Maybe she was picturing him wearing that very shirt as he read a bedtime story to his kids. I didn't know for sure what she was thinking, but I'm pretty sure that love was a big part of what made her so beautiful.
*
I almost laughed out loud the next time I saw her. She was doing something I have done countless times myself. Standing in front of the mirror holding up 2 bathing suits. The look on her face said it all. I didn't even have to imagine what she was thinking at that very moment. How am I going to fit this...into one of these?
*
Just then I was startled to realize why her face had seemed so familiar to me...it was mine.
*
True beauty can't be measured with a scale. It can't be dictated by the world. Real beauty comes from living life. Without joy there would be no crows feet. Without sorrow and pain, no creased brows. Without love... no radiant smile. The world tries to tell us that beauty is a pretty face. I beg to differ! The most beautiful people I know will never grace the cover of a magazine, they might even look a little plain to those who can't really see them.
*
Next time you catch a glimpse of yourself, really look....you may never have noticed just how beautiful you really are.

11 comments:

  1. What a coincidence...I saw a handsome man today. In fact he was quite dashing, charming, and quite the catch. (And he's coming to your house tonight!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful post Cassie! It should be published somewhere!

    Brandon, you are too funny! =) I hope you all are doing well! Glad that you had such a wonderful time at the cabin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cassie, Once again you have made me cry - you should really look into writing. You have a great talent for it. Love Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. And that dashing, charming man who's "quite the catch" makes a mighty good match for this beautiful woman!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are beautiful Cassie!!
    love you,
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  6. At first I thought wow, she is very observant, then I realized you were speaking of yourself. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl, you never cease to amaze me. As you know I am generally never at a loss for words, bu this is one of those moments...great job by a beautiful lady. Love & prayers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cassie,
    That was beautiful!!! I thought I was reading something from a magazine. Hope you are doing well.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! When are you going to start writing? You're good!
    Love and prayers...(still want to do the chick flick? maybe next week?)

    ReplyDelete