
Well, today is only the second day of our 7 days without daddy. He abandoned us for a week of leading worship at a church in Texas. As usual, when Bran's gone I have no desire to cook any more than I have to. So I usually make one "real" meal & we eat on it all day. Of course we throw in a few frozen pizzas and tv dinners for good measure. This morning we had the breakfast of champions...pot stickers and powdered donuts!
Anyway, Trav came over with Natalie & after an hour or so of baby stuff I got busy making lunch. Well...when I got my back burner going to heat up my soft taco shells, I forgot that the day before I spilled a little oil into the burner pan. You know what happened next...the oil caught fire of course. What followed, is one of those things that can only happen if your me. When I pulled the pan off to put out the fire the exhaust fan caught the flame and sucked it straight up into the vent hood! I yelled for Trav and ran to get the fire extinguisher, by that time the alarm was going off, the living room and kitchen were getting full of smoke, and Boston was yelling into the phone that our house was on fire. For a minute I thought he had called 911 or something...no, just his friend. I kinda panicked because I knew that the hood was vented into the attic. All I could see were those flames getting into the attic and....well you know the rest!
I was wrong however, the hood was new and the pipe was old. The new hood does not vent into that pipe at all.
*
Anyway, thank God for a level headed brother. He handed me the baby and used a fork or something to pull the filter off. I guess the fan had melted into the filter & that's where all the flames were coming from. As soon as he did that, most of the fire went with him into the back yard. He did have to use the extinguisher, but not till he had saved the food! What a man!
*
Here's all that's left of the filter and fan. As you can see, the only real fire damage is a few burn marks on the hood itself. All in all...it was no big thing, but after Mark and Dorene's house it sure freaked me out!

Of course, since Natalie was here I had to get a few 100 pictures of her! Here are my 4 favorite.
Boston fed her, but he refused to try and burp her since he thought she might throw up on him. Nope, she waited till Cade had her to do that!
Riley waited and begged to hold her for a good hour. When I let him I barely had time to grab the camera and take this before he said..."I'm done" and off he went to play Wii.
I just love this picture of Cade looking at her little hand. He just kept saying..."mom, her little hand is just so tiny!" Cade really loved to just set and hold her. When the fire started I had to get her into my room to keep her away from the fumes and smoke. Cade watched her on my bed like a little trooper.
This is my very favorite one. I really wanted to get a few good ones of her on her tummy, unfortunately our session was cut short when she puked on my new blanket! (maybe it was all the fuzz she kept licking!)
Bran is wearing shorts and a t-shirt in Texas... and it's snowing here. I'm pretty sure it was like 75 degrees just 2 days ago!
A few days ago someone asked what I ever decided about the wreath over my fireplace. Well, here it is. I tried and tried to get something that would hold it, but short of drilling right into the rock nothing would hold. So, I used the 2 existing screws and just hung it this way. I like it.
I have been wondering what to do with this space above my couch for months. I finally decided to hang 3 floating shelves and use it for pictures. I love pictures, and just don't have that many spots to put them. The shelves below are what I have in mind. I got a big B&C on clearance at Hobby Lobby a few weeks ago and I've been collecting cute frames anytime I find a great deal. Now I just have to spring for the shelves! I am watching Hobby Lobby for them to go on 1/2 price, but it may take a while since even 1/2 price they are SO darn expensive!


Natalie is so pretty I need to get my hands on her.
ReplyDelete