I found this poem a few days ago and just had to share it.
I'ts as if the writer reached into my brain, sorted out all the feelings and thoughts running around in my head, and then wrote a poem just for me.
A Gift
I was given a gift, wrapped shabbily,
it was non-returnable, non-refundable!
Reluctantly I accepted it.
In it I found courage I never knew existedand
a patience far beyond anything I ever experienced.
I was given the ability to trust a stranger
with that most dear to me,
and an endurance for the unknown.
I was given unconditional love of family and friends,
always there, never stopping, never faltering.
I was given many prayers from far and wide,
and the warmth of knowing I am truly cared about.
I was given a fond farewell of my modesty and vanity,
and the acceptance and love of an imperfect body.
I was given a strong shoulder to lean on
when that shoulder had once grown distant,
and laughter and good times,
more special than ever before.
I was given many new friends,
wonderful, courageous people I am so very proud to know.
I was given warm sunshine and beautiful green grass,
blue skies, and sparkling city lights.
I was given things to see, that once before were ignored.
I was given the chance to wake up,
instead of sleepwalking through life.
I was given every glorious day to enjoy,
every month to savor, every year to rejoice.
I was given the gift of life,
I was given colon cancer.
Linda Nielsen/adapted
PS - My Aunt Dorene gave me 100
blue colon bands yesterday.
I have lots and lots to give away,
let me know if you want one.
(these actually have the wrong message...sorry, I do things to fast sometimes)

I LOVED this poem! It made me cry.
ReplyDeletePlease save aside some blue ribbons for me to share with those who ask about you every single day and for Dennis and I to wear as a reminder that someone we love like a daughter has a battle she doesn't have to fight alone.