Sunday, January 25, 2009

4th Annual Chili Cook-off

I guess you only have to see this picture to know who won the chili cook-off again this year! (Congrats to the Selvy and Disheroon teams who won 2nd and 3rd too)
For the last three years we've won first place at our church's Small Group Chili Cook-off. Of course our group has changed some each year, but I pretty much have to say we have an AWESOME GROUP!
There are 3 categories at our cook-off, chili, cookie and theme. Chili and cookie are judged by blind judges in our church library, and then those same judges come out and judge theme. It's a ton of fun and I look forward to it every year. Of course, since I'm the organizer of the cook-off and my sweetie pretty much heads up the small group ministry, there are many accusations of rigging. (All in good fun...I think!)

Some of the groups went crazy this year! One group built a 10x10 frame of a house (roof and all). Another group painted a GIANT Noah's Ark with all the animals. Another group did the Tool Time set (complete with a skit). Wilson even came out behind a tiny picket fence! And still another group did a 70's rock band (complete with a"groovy" stage and lights). But my favorite theme by far, (except for us of course) had to be the the Campbell group. They were all medicine bottles. Miranda was a Giant bottle of Pepto with a cute little hole cut out for her baby tummy.
I took these pictures when people were just starting to get set up. I was to distracted to take any once things got going.







As for our team, we did a cow theme. Everyone dressed as cows and wore or carried anti-cow signs...or should I say pro-chicken.



It's "udderly" good!
Got Milk? We do!
Mad cows make good chili
Stop lactose intolerance!
Cows are people too
Save a cow eat chicken chili
Cow tipping encouraged
We're the best...hooves down

I guess you don't have to think too hard to figure out where we got our idea from...


As you can see there is not even 1 picture of our group! I kept waiting to get a picture of our whole team so I kept putting off taking pictures. I know some of my group took them...so I hope to have some for you soon.

I have a feeling after 3 years running in the first place spot...there might be about 300 people in our church who want to see something like this happen to the members of our group. All I have to say about that...we are sure gonna enjoy that $100 prize to Whole Hog!


FYI - My "dear friend" Pammie Sue is already talking smack about next year...you can check out her blog "Estes Family Weblog"


4 comments:

  1. AWW...Chili Cook-Off was our FAVORITE!!! :) I want to see Miranda in the medicine bottle get-up. So funny!!! :)

    YES...Kendall has a mouthfull of teeth! She has FIVE coming in right now. So far, so good. Not too brutal. 4 molars then one bottom tooth.

    We are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Mom was telling me how cute your team was dressed as cows. I think they got some good pics, I'll get them off her camera and email them to ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, where's a picture of our group- the 2nd place winners?? P.S. We want NEW judges next year! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Girl, I think it's harder to portray the joking nature when writing than it is when talking. =) I was totally kidding around and giving you a hard time about the chili cook-off. I actually had no idea who the judges were this year or last before I started running my mouth. I just couldn't let you get away with winning this many times in a row without giving you a hard time. =) We did sing Kum-By-Ya around the campfire for the judges, but I'm quite certain that my singing ruined it for us! Ha, Ha! (I can't carry a tune in a bucket- or however that saying goes:) No hard feelings... Love ya!

    ReplyDelete