Friday - after being off my meds for just one day I started feeling pain from what we thought was diverticulitis. After seeing Dr. Berry in his office he decided I could not wait 6 weeks for surgery and re-admited me to the hospital.
Saturday - Surgery was scheduled for Monday morning so Saturday was a waiting game.
Sunday - My surgery prep began around 6 pm. It required an NG tube and a lot of pain. My amazing in-laws took the boys home with them (they were there till yesterday)
Monday - Surgery was around 10am & Dr. Berry to around 25 inches from my colon. He also found an unexpected tumor. He was pretty sure it was cancer. I don't really remember any of this day. I do know that however, that we have the most amazing group of family and friends in the world.
Tuesday - Dr. Berry confirmed that I did indeed have cancer and that because of a small perforation in my colon I would have to have chemo.
Wednesday - pain...visitors....ice chips
Thursday - Christmas Day. Bran and the boys spent the morning with mema and papa and then came for a short visit to the hospital. NG tube come out!!
Friday - Friday kinda hit me like a brick. It was the first day I really started to think about the future and what I was up against. My dear friends Hannah and Liz came to spend the night and we were well on our way to a great girls night when we got a call that changed everything. My brother was in the hospital with Steph and her water had just broke. She was only 33 weeks, but her doctor felt like everything would be fine.
I begged my nurse to let me go and see them for just a minute...how can you say no to a cancer patient? So off we went. I felt so blessed to spend even those few minutes with my sweet sister-in-law and brother. Trav took a picture of Steph and I. To be honest I don't know how I looked as good as I did. When I got back to my room I crashed hard...but enough about me...around 11:40 or so my baby brother came bursting into my room with pictures of my new niece Natalie Jane.
She was only 4 pounds, and 64 days early, but she is a fighter and doing wonderful. Because there were RSV babies on my floor I was not able to visit her in the NIQ, but I hope to see her tomorrow or Thursday. (pictures as the end of blog)
Saturday - a little walking...a lot of pain...and LOTS more pictures of Natalie.
Sunday - I got to go home around 5pm.
Where we stand now... I will see Dr. Berry next Monday. Once he takes out my staples he will refer me to an oncologist. I should start chemo in about 5 weeks.
Ok, now on to the baby pictures!

Cassie,
ReplyDeleteIt is Becke', your long lost church camp bud. I am so shocked at your news...as you are, I am sure. I have already started praying...that His peace will be evident and that He will be Healer. May you know Him deeper and deeper during this "season." Your new niece is a doll. PS, if you are into reading, I think you would like "Shattered Dreams" by Larry Crabb.
My heart is broken for you Cassie! We went to church in Farmington to see Ryan get baptized! When Bro Barry read Brandon's letter I was in shock! I am so sorry to hear what you are going thru! I have 100% faith that God is going to pull you thru this! I am praying for you!
ReplyDeleteCan I just say how great you look in that pic! That's amazing! You look better than I do on a good day! Impressive. That baby is absolutely precious, TINY, but sooo precious!
Hey Cassie, I'm so sorry to hear what all you have been thru & are still going to have to face. Just know that you are being prayed for & are loved very much. I'm sure right now you must be asking why me, I don't have all the answers but I do know that God loves you & there is a reason for all this. If I can help you or your family at all, please let me. And your neice is also in our prayers, hope everyone is doing good. Best wishes Cassie, please let me know if I can help you with anything. Karen Barnes = Jessica M's mommy
ReplyDeleteHey Cass! You have such an amazing spirit, and the faith you have is so evident in your attitude. We'll be praying for you and Brandon and the boys. I know you still have a long road ahead.
ReplyDeleteYour niece is adorable--can't believe she is so early and looking so perfect! Congratulations!
Hey Cassie,
ReplyDeleteI never have the right words to say, but here is something that your hubby told my hubby a few months back that really stuck with him. That even in our lowest moments, we are still in the palm of God's Hands. Just wanted to let you know that we are praying for you and if there is anything-laundry, school pick-up, grocery shopping, whatever, please call me!
1.) Your husband is one of the funniest people on the planet. We finally figured out "it's me" on Evan's phone. Which in turn started the whole Seinfield routine b/w Brian and Evan. We've been cracking up all night about it.
ReplyDelete2.) Are you accepting visitors at home? I would LOVE to come see you before we leave to go back to KY. I have a general idea where your new house is, but not for sure. Maybe tomorrow afternoon or sometime New Year's Day?
I'm praying. We love you guys!
Cassie, heard of your news last week and am praying for you. 1 Cor. 10:13-He will not allow more than you can handle. You are one tough cookie, love ya girl
ReplyDeleteCan't be a "creeper peeper" so will leave a note.......I have wanted to get back to see you but my whole family including myself has had some kind of crud. I can't help but think that the Lord has GIANT plans for you!! We are praying for you and Brandon and the boys. Natalie is sooooo cute. We love you Cassie! Janet
ReplyDeletePraying for you sweet girl!! I loved talking to you on the phone during our last girl chat- can I do anything for you? Thinking of you!
ReplyDeleteHey Cassie,
ReplyDeleteI have been out of blog world lately, but I want you to know that I have been thinking and praying for you!! Keep us updated on how you're doing. Let me know if I can do anything to help while you are going through chemo...