Monday, October 13, 2008

Stakes, blocks, tables & garage sales...

As I take a look back at this last weekend, I am almost overjoyed that it’s over and that we survived it with only a few dents. But more than anything I am filled with such awe at God’s amazing grace & protection. Some of you may not know this, but I as a person, do tend to give God a lot to keep track of. I do things faster than most people, screw up a lot more than average, and require more forgiveness than just about anyone I know. Still, somehow, God in his infinite mercy sees fit to love me anyway…and for that, I am blessed.

It all started Saturday morning. Randy and I were loading the concession stand stuff into our cars before heading out onto the field. After we were loaded I backed my car around the side of the new building when I ran just a wee bit off of the road. It really was only a few inches, but it was what I managed to hit while I was off of the road that caused all of the problems. Somehow, I managed to hit and flip one of those rebar markers with my back tire & turn that seemingly innocent piece of metal into a lethal projectile intent on impaling my radiator reservoir. The God part came when Joe discovered that I came within an inch or so of running it through my transmission. My sweet brother Trav, jumped in his truck and was heading our way to replace it until we found that we had to get the new one from Chrysler. I pick it up tomorrow and it will only be a $25 repair. It could have sooooooo much worse. We didn’t even have to stop driving the van.


After the van fiasco I was heading home and noticed a garage sale that had a table and chairs for sale. I figured it was already sold but I stopped anyway. We have needed a new table since we moved. Our other table is just too big to fit into the shape of the kitchen. They had $100 on the table. I usually never ask people to take less, but after my van blessing I was feeling brave or something. I said will you take $50…and they said yes!! I also go a new bat and helmet for Boston, 2 new purses, 2 pairs of shoes and 5 pairs of swim trunks & all I paid was $58 TOTAL!!!
I love a good garage sale!
(and before I hear it from some of you...no, I have still not finished painting all the trim white yet)




Next came Boston’s football game. Boston had a great game and had even had his name called on a few plays. We were just about to win the game 24 to 0, so Lincoln went for a few desperation passes to Boston’s side of the field. The first pass he knocked down. Everyone cheered & they called his name for breaking up the pass. YYAAAAAYYYAAA! Then, they tried another long pass to his side. This time he got fooled by the fake and his receiver caught the ball and took it down the field for a touchdown. On any other day and in any other game this would have been no big deal…what made it a big stinking deal for Boston was that the receiver was a girl! Not only was it a girl, but it was the last play of the game so everyone was really paying attention. Boston was devastated. He didn’t even make it to the car before he broke down. My heart broke for him. I haven’t seen him yet today, but I’m really praying school went well & no one teased him about it. Here is the play he broke up. (the one that really matters!)

BOSTON IS TO THE FAR RIGHT #31



UPDATE: Boston had a great practice! He got 5 tackles and broke up 2 passes. He earned a skull & his coach made sure to make light of the whole "girl" thing.

4 comments:

  1. Whew.. With all the bumps, it still looks like you came out ahead.. And that table, you got a steal on it!

    *I'm having a "yard sale" you might have to come to. I think I may just pass the word along to a few people and let everyone come and shop my house rather than dragging everything outside! So, if you're up for a drive to Bentonville, I'm selling a ton of stuff. :) I listed a lot of it on craigslist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When did they start letting girls play football?! :) Boston had a good game, regardless of the one play. Hope his day at school was smooth.

    Great score on garage sale finds. The green paint looks so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that color!!!

    My mom will be Gigi, my dad will be Poppy, and David's mom will be Grandma. :) David's dad passed away when we were first married 7 years ago... but he was also known just as "grandpa."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that God was taking care of you! And, I LOVE a good garage sale!

    ReplyDelete