
Last June I took a big step in the life of my wardrobe. I thew it all out. And I really mean ALL! I only kept a few things. 1 pairs of jeans, 2 shirts, 2 hoodies my leather jacket and 1 skirt. That's it. I decided that it was time to do a real, honest to goodness, purging...and so I did. At the time, it seemed like a great idea, but in the light of a chilly October day with nothing to wear... not quite so smart. I planned, way back in June, to hit all the local used shops and all the great sale racks to replenish my wardrobe, but somehow it never happened. So, I have a choice to make...buy clothes or go naked.
Here's where you can help...I set down last night and thought about what looks I like and how can I best accomplish those goals on a limited budget. I came up with 8 questions to ask myself (thank you Tim Gunn) & I decided to ask you all the same questions as well. Hopefully your answers will aid me in my quest for the perfectly balanced wardrobe.
1. What one item of clothing do you consider a must in your wardrobe?
2. Since I usually wear jeans to church, what kind of tops can I buy to "dress" up my jeans?
3. Boots...black, brown or both?
4. Is it better to get things that can mix and match, or work on 7 or 8 separate looks?
5. I really love black, what items can I buy in black without looking too Goth?
6. What things can I buy this year that will stand the test of time and still be classic next winter?
7. How many hoodies is to many?
8. How old is too old for leggings with the long dress type shirts?
I look forward to your imput, and I will post pics as I get them. So far, I have bought a new pair of dark blue jeans, a red shirt and a red sleevless jacket with a fur trimmed hood.
Here's where you can help...I set down last night and thought about what looks I like and how can I best accomplish those goals on a limited budget. I came up with 8 questions to ask myself (thank you Tim Gunn) & I decided to ask you all the same questions as well. Hopefully your answers will aid me in my quest for the perfectly balanced wardrobe.
1. What one item of clothing do you consider a must in your wardrobe?
2. Since I usually wear jeans to church, what kind of tops can I buy to "dress" up my jeans?
3. Boots...black, brown or both?
4. Is it better to get things that can mix and match, or work on 7 or 8 separate looks?
5. I really love black, what items can I buy in black without looking too Goth?
6. What things can I buy this year that will stand the test of time and still be classic next winter?
7. How many hoodies is to many?
8. How old is too old for leggings with the long dress type shirts?
I look forward to your imput, and I will post pics as I get them. So far, I have bought a new pair of dark blue jeans, a red shirt and a red sleevless jacket with a fur trimmed hood.
Considering most of my clothes are from the dark ages. I am sure you don't want my opinion on this matter. I am into wearing what ever I can still fit into.
ReplyDeleteCowboy boots always in.
ReplyDelete1. What one item of clothing do you consider a must in your wardrobe? a bra
ReplyDelete2. Since I usually wear jeans to church, what kind of tops can I buy to "dress" up my jeans? why not splurge and give God something better than everyday wear.
3. Boots...black, brown or both? black
4. Is it better to get things that can mix and match, or work on 7 or 8 separate looks? mix and match
5. I really love black, what items can I buy in black without looking too Goth? anything that doesn't have skeletons or goth designs. as long as your nails aren't painted black, then wear black.
6. What things can I buy this year that will stand the test of time and still be classic next winter? solid color sweaters of any kind
7. How many hoodies is to many? one
8. How old is too old for leggings with the long dress type shirts? it's not the age it's the style. is that still in style?
I'm sooo excited to give my input.. haha! :)
ReplyDelete1. What one item of clothing do you consider a must in your wardrobe?
***My black blazer.. I got it at good ole JCP and I love it b/c I can wear it with black slacks or skirt to a closing or for a casual yet dressy look, pair it with jeans and some black heels!
2. Since I usually wear jeans to church, what kind of tops can I buy to "dress" up my jeans?
***Kind of answered this above.. If you wear heels with jeans that always dresses you up! Plus a dressier top too! Just don't wear a t-shirt with it and it will look good! :) You can find so many things that will dress jeans up that people won't even think you look casual! I am a big fan of jeans and working with different looks!
3. Boots...black, brown or both?
****I am going to go with both, but if you can only choose one.. Go with black, especially since you like to wear black so much! :)
4. Is it better to get things that can mix and match, or work on 7 or 8 separate looks?
***Buy pieces that can mix and match, for example, if you could find a pant suit with a blazer cheaper than you can buy them separate, then get them together and you can pair with different items... Black slacks of course go with everything as well! Stick to buying classic pieces! That way you don't have to buy new clothes every season.. I try not to splurge and buy a whole new wardrobe now when the seasons change. I dress older than most people my age, but I prefer to buy classic items and add a little flair to it! :)
5. I really love black, what items can I buy in black without looking too Goth?
***ME TOO! I love wearing black! It can be sexy, sophisticated, and EASY to pull off! Accent with fun jewelry or a scarf, chunky belt or really fun shoes! :)
6. What things can I buy this year that will stand the test of time and still be classic next winter?
**Think I have probably answered this one too.. What I have found that works well, buy items that you can change up to match the season, but stand alone good too.. Example, Walmart is bringing out really cute dresses lately... I wore them in the summer as little summer dresses and now I will add my $5 leggings or black knee boots and it has a completely different look! I don't like wearing a lot of sweaters and turtlnecks b/c I always seem to burn up in the office, so I prefer to go with layers! a basic top with some kind of cute buttom up sweater I can take off, blazer, jackets are great too!
7. How many hoodies is to many?
***hmmm, don't know how to answer this one! On casual days or lazy days, wear them out! :)
8. How old is too old for leggings with the long dress type shirts?
****I think you can pull it off. Just don't go with the hot pink kind or anything like that! :) Stick with black and brown! If you have high boots, you could totally pull off that with black leggings and a little dress top! You would look like a smokin' hot mom!
***Okay, I had way too much fun answering this for you! Now, I just need to reapply my standards to myself.. haha!
I hope I was helpful! This post makes me want to go organzie my closet!
I love the sweater you posted...found a similiar one at Target last night that got added to my wardrobe. I, like you, need to do a purging but I'm scared I would spend too much on replacements!
ReplyDeleteI am hardly a fashion diva, but here's my 2 cents...
ReplyDelete1. What one item of clothing do you consider a must in your wardrobe?
***For the winter, I have several long-sleeve, solid colored shirts to layer with. I have several colors, so I can layer them with different shirts and have lots of different looks using only a few shirts!
2. Since I usually wear jeans to church, what kind of tops can I buy to "dress" up my jeans?
***Heels with jeans always dresses them up. Also, accessorize your outfit with more dressy jewelry to dress up your jeans as well. (I go to a jewelry store in Fayetteville where EVERY piece of jewelry they have is one dollar!! It's not cheap looking either- just look at my jewelry; it ALL comes from there. Let me know if you've never been there and I'll tell you where it is...)
3. Boots...black, brown or both?
***It depends on what color you wear the most. Since you said you love black- go with that unless you find an awesome deal on boots and can afford to get both.
4. Is it better to get things that can mix and match, or work on 7 or 8 separate looks?
***I like to find a staple piece of clothing that I can mix & match to create many looks with only a few pieces.
5. I really love black, what items can I buy in black without looking too Goth?
***Black will never go out of style! Just wear fun colors with it using jewelry, fun colors of shoes, belts, etc. to spice it up.
6. What things can I buy this year that will stand the test of time and still be classic next winter?
***Just stay away from the "trendy" items if you want to wear your new wardrobe for several seasons.
7. How many hoodies is too many?
***I would think one or two hoodies should be plenty. That way you won't catch yourself always wearing jeans, a hoodie and tennis shoes, instead of dressing up a bit.
8. How old is too old for leggings with the long dress type shirts?
***You could so pull it off! I saw a 65-year-old grandma wearing them the other day- now that's too old!
I hope I helped a little. Good luck!!
P.S. Wal-Mart and Old Navy probably have the best prices on a regular basis- unless some of the stores in the mall are having a major sale.
Tip: Don't buy it at Old Navy unless it's on sale. If it's not on sale this week, wait a week or two and it WILL go on sale. =)
I think it's very important to have stuff that you can mix and match. For work, I keep it simple - black or navy pants, or brown if you like brown (pin stripe black ones work well too). Then, I put any color shirt with the black or navy and a matching jacket or over-shirt. I think you can add dressy shirts or jackets to jeans easily, just add the dressy / cute shoes to match. I'm NO fashion expert, but I like to have a wardrobe that seems big but is really cheap (that's why I mix and match).
ReplyDeleteSounds like you got some good answers already. I love a blazer with jeans--always classy. I have found some cute ones for cheap at TJMaxx. Looking forward to seeing what all you find. :)
ReplyDeleteBlack yoga pants. So comfortable. They look great with everything, great for running out to the store, wearing around the house, etc. (Maybe i am just really into yoga pants because i am pregnant.)
ReplyDeleteI think they should be a staple in everyone's wardrobe.
I think that's all i got, i am the world's worst shopper!