Thursday, January 15, 2009

World's Best Soft Tacos


Ok, I know lots of people think they have a great soft taco recipe, but I know for a fact that I have the best! This recipe has been passed down through 3 generations of my family & I have never EVER served them to ANYONE that has not admitted that they are the best they have ever eaten. I don't mean to brag...ok maybe a little, but the truth is I am going to give you the recipe so it's not really bragging is it?

I don't make them very often because I like to set down with my family at dinner. And since these have to be made fresh, the maker has to wait to eat after everyone else is done. Every time my mom comes for a visit she gets all the stuff and make a big batch for everyone.

Ok, enough with the fond memories...here is the recipe for The Best Soft Taco in the World!
One more thing...I know some of you will say "oh I like salsa on mine" or "I eat mine soft tacos with guak" Do me a favor and just try one the way I suggest. After that, if you think you can improve on my tried and true 60 year old recipe...go for it!
SOFT TACOS
2 pounds ground turkey (none of that 90% junk)
2 packages taco season
2 packages of large yellow corn tortillas
Tub of sour cream
Iceberg lettuce
Roma Tomatos
Deli Deluxe Cheese
Roll of paper towels
Veggie Oil

First, brown your ground turkey. Drain any water & add taco seasoning packages. Set aside and allow to simmer while you prepare other ingredients.

Grate cheese. It's a little tricky with sliced cheese, but we always take a few slices at a time, fold them up and grate them.

Chop lettuce into small pieces. Seed and dice Romas. After you have chopped the tomatoes, add them to the lettuce. The ratio of lettuce to tomatoes is up to you. Just before you start making your soft tacos, salt the lettuce and tomatoes. Toss them a little for even coating.

Because you will kinda be frying your corn tortillas you will need paper towels to blot them when they come out of the oil. I like to take 2 sets of 1o paper towels to do the job.

When my mom was here we made a little video of how to assemble The Worlds Best Soft Tacos. Enjoy!



6 comments:

  1. Oh Cassie, that video was wonderful. I felt like I was right there with you. I will have to try frying them, I have never had them fried. But I really don't like to cook, I only make a few things, the same things over & over. I don't mind cleaning up after cooking but I will have to give these a try. I loved the video. It really helps us girls who aren't good at cooking, hands on, ha!!!Thanks for sharing. Hope you are feeling good. Karen Barnes

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUm! I am definitely cooking those soon. Thanks for the video- I love the visual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with Karen and Catherine, thanks for the video!!! What if you don't like ground turkey? I will try it though. I will let you know (hope you don't hear me puking from there) Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I found your blog through Catherines.....I made the tacos tonight! They were great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi again! ok, this has nothing to do with the tacos....but i was scrolling down your page more and saw that travis is your brother. i was friends with him in high school and he went with me to my jr./sr.banquet at shiloh.....small world! oh...and yes..GO BOYS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMmmmm I am going to try these out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete