Monday, January 12, 2009

PET scans, and blue ribbons


I got a call from my Aunt Dorene today. She recently lost her dad to cancer & because of that she is the resident expert on chemo & and all things treatment. She told me my ribbon color is dark blue & that she has ordered 100 rubber colon cancer bracelets for me to pass out to friends and family. She told me all about what chemo will be like and what to expect at my first appointment. She even has a bunch of wigs I can use if all my hair falls out...I always wanted to be a blonde!

She told me that she picked up all the chemo cookbooks they used for her dad. They are full of special recipes that you can make depending on your post chemo symptoms. She even offered to come and set with me during chemo any time I want her too. (one treatment can last up to 4 hours!) I am so thankful to have someone like Dorene supporting me.

FYI - My PET scan and genetic testing is scheduled for Wednesday afternoon. Looks like I may be start treatment by the end of next week.

8 comments:

  1. Cassie,

    I have been with my mom as she has fought cancer on and off for the last 5 years with chemo (14 years if you count the first time with breast cancer). She will tell you that chemo is still not fun, but some of the anti-nausea drugs they have now are much better than before.
    Just wandering, when I had my genetic testing ran it took two or three weeks to find out the results, but it was more like 5 or 6 weeks for my mom's test to be read. Have they given you any type of a time frame for your results? I will keep you and your family on my prayer list.


    Brenda Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a God send!! Thank you for the update, so we can pray specifically for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you must be scared, I would be. But I do know that God is still with each of us, know that you are being prayed for Cassie, & if I can do anything for you just let me know, Karen Barnes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you sister! If fear does come...God knows. Just let him take that from you. It's what He's there for. Here for you too if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you get your scans back? I've been praying for you. Let us know what's up when you feel up to it.

    We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you!!! Hang in there. Let us know if there are any good eats in the cookbook! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been praying for you ever since I found out 3 weeks ago. I know you are a very strong woman and that God will enable you to prosper through this. God Bless you and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How great to have such an awesome cheerleader in your corner. Who knew they had special recipes depending on your reactions...that's awesome. Praying for you, Cassie!

    ReplyDelete