Every year since 2004 we have taken the boys to the mall a week or two before Christmas & let them pick out a family
ornament. It usually takes FOREVER for everyone to agree on one
ornament. And it always ends with mom holding up 2 and saying "this one or this one PICK ONE NOW!!!!!!!!!" Oh, the joys of Christmas! The funny thing is, no matter how it ends I always find myself looking forward to this special night each year. After we pick our
ornament we always have dinner in the food court. The boys love getting to pick anything they want for dinner. And as sure as I am that the sun will come up tomorrow, I can tell you that
Cade will get cheese
pizza, Riley will get a Chick-
fil-a sandwich and Boston will get a 6" turkey and cheese sandwich from Subway.
While I was in the hospital last week I thought about this special family tradition and cried. I thought it was something we were just going to have to miss this year. Thank you Lord for the good days!
After we finished dinner I had to make a stop at
Gymboree to do a little Christmas shopping for my 2 new
nieces! OH MY GOSH! girl stuff is
SOOOOOOO CUTE! I can't show you what I got since my sister-in-laws both read the blog. Oh well, just know that they are so cute!

What a neat tradition. It doesn't take long in the hospital to make you thankful for the little things in life hunh? I was worried that I would miss the leaves changing. Still praying for you-let me know if I can help in anyway-have the kids over, bring a meal, etc.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun tradition! I love it! I am so glad you got to enjoy this special time with your family! How are you feeling?
ReplyDeleteI love those ornaments...
ReplyDeleteEvan mailed them all today. I stayed up late last night so I could get it finished! I think he put about 20 cards in an envelope to his parents (it was cheaper to mail like that than buy a book of stamps for those folks) so hopefully you will see them for the church post office. (we gave to lottie moon at our church...does that count???) :)
anyway...i've been thinking of you. hope you are feeling better. when you get a chance, i need a good beef enchilada recipe that doesn't take as long to make as pioneer womans, that doesn't have sour cream or any creamy soup. like good red-sauced enchiladas. can you help? evan loves pioneer woman's, but i only have time to make those on special occasions. it takes every pot and pan in my cabinet and is a mess!!! (but so worth it once they are done!!!)
okay...sorry for the book. we will be home sometime Christmas day, so i will look forward to seeing you then!
two more things...
ReplyDeletei can handle whipping cream, i just have aversions to creamy soups lately for some reason.
and...have you/brandon heard selah's light of the stable? i can just see him rockin' out to that song. i love it. and the casting crowns song 'peace on earth' or 'while you were sleeping'...whatever the name of it is!
Love the tradition!! Email me your address so I can send you a card. I hope you are feeling better! : )
ReplyDeleteif brandon uses either of those songs, tell him to wait until the sunday after christmas so i will be there to hear them! :)
ReplyDeletei'll check the recipe. meat is always better when it's cooked with the peppers/onions. never thought about doubleing (sp?) the corn tortillas. that makes sense, though. i knew you would know! :)