Thursday, July 21, 2011

A $5 bill

You know what you do...you look straight ahead as you pass them on the side of the road.  You wouldn't want them to see your eyes or they might think you could help.  You've even pretended to be so distracted on your phone that you didn't even notice them as you walk by.  You've actually lied about not having cash when one asks you for a $1.

You know how I know you've done all these things?...because I have too!  I'll be the first to admit I don't always practice what I preach.  Invest...serve...do...I talk a good game, but when it comes to putting words into action...I'm the first to admit I pick and choose who's worthy of my "investment".

Last Sunday I got schooled in everything I didn't know or understand about the parable of the good Samaritan. This guy asked Jesus "how can I earn a spot in heaven"  Jesus usually keeps the rules pretty simple...and this time was no exception..."love me, and love others as much as you love yourself".

Folks, I don't know about you...but I love myself!  If I showed a stranger even 1/2 as much love as I show myself...well, lets just say...I don't.

This is were the $5 bill comes in.  I have made a promise to myself (and God) to start giving away every $5 bill I get.  I don't have cash that often, but from now on, any time I'm handed a $5 bill I'm going to find someone to give it too.  I know it's a small thing, but it's a start.  I want my boys to see someone hand me a $5 bill and immediately start looking for someone to give it too. I don't mean that minute...I just want them to stop "loving" themselves long enough to see the needs of others.

I got my first chance on Monday.  I got 2-5's back at Wal-Mart...I wanted more than anything to tuck at least one back in my purse, but I felt like God was challenging my resolve right from the get-go. If anyone knows how weak I am...he does!

As I'm leaving the parking-lot I see a guy with a sign that just said "hungry".  It's 103 degrees outside and all he has is a backpack and a beat up milk jug 1/2 full of water.  I pulled up, rolled my window down, handed him a $5 and said "Jesus loves you".  He said "I know missy, it's the only way I get through the day."

But for the grace of God go I.

1 comment:

  1. ok, im crying at my desk. thank you for the reminder of all that we have. Hope all is going well for you, we miss you guys. lori

    ReplyDelete