Thursday, May 5, 2011

Day at the K

Today was "school day at the K" at the KC Royals stadium. About 20,000 kids, teachers and parents showed up for an exciting day of weather science and baseball!

From the time we woke up...until we gave up and went home around 12:30...it rained..and rained...and rained...and rained.

Thankfully we had seats under the overhang. While we waited for things to get started, several dogs strutted their disk catching abilities...I pretty much watched the fountains.

Since several kids had no parent, we were each assigned an extra kid to keep up with. The girl with us only had on shorts, flip flops and a light windbreaker. Cade and I had blankets and ponchos and long pants and sleeves. Being a mom I just had to give up my blanket. (if you know me...and how much I HATE being cold...you will understand just how kind I really was)
As you can see...only a few brave souls came out from under the over-hangs to watch in the rain.
The weather team did a great job of making science fun for the kids.

They made fog...
And a "cloud"...


After the science class, we had lunch. Cade had a kid lunch...
Mine was a little more grown-up. Of course Cade was more than willing to help me eat it.
By noon Cade was starting to get a really stuffy nose. Since it was STILL raining and it looked like a rain delay was in our future...Cade and I decided to call it a day and skip the game. To make up for it I took him to Sugar Rush for a cupcake and hot chocolate.

Cade's - Mocha

Mine - Snickerdoodle
This afternoon Boston had his city wide track meet. Bran and Riley were planning to go without us, but with the rain in KC MO we were home in time to go too. Boston was one of the 2 boys who qualified to represent his school and grade in the long jump. He scratched on the first jump...his best jump BY FAR. And the second... (just so you know, he jumped from the white paint you see on the left) The jump was a scratch because his toes were over the edge of the paint.
His third jump was good, but no where near the longest jump of over 16 feet!
Just after he finished we all had to go under the stands because of lightning.
Somehow I doubt all the kids climbing on the underside of the metal bleachers were really all that safe had we got a direct hit.
Tomorrow I get to attend a Mother's Day Tea at the little guys school. Cade's class has been working on it since just after he started. He is bursting with excitement about all the things in store for me! I am too!

No comments:

Post a Comment