Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Back from the dead...and a few other things

Well, I guess most of you have about given up on me as a blogger...have no fear! I am back...for now. So I only have to repeat it once I will start from the beginning and keep it simple. (Sorry no edits)

Last Monday I woke up with tearing pain on the lower left side of my tummy. I was running fever and was super weak. Thinking I knew what was going on I went on to work by way of a short stop in Wal-Mart. While I was there I started thinking I was going to faint and had to do a quick strip tease for the poor old man cleaning the restrooms there. After that I drug myself to work, where Debbie found me asleep and burning up with fever about an hour later. After that I half crawled to the doctor where he checked my white cell count and my hemoglobin one was 14,000 and one 7....both bad numbers. So off I went for a CAT scan. There we found I had Diverticulitis and a small bleed in my colon. Dr. T wanted me to go straight to the hospital, but I begged him to let me take the meds from home for a few days first. He said ok, as long as I watched for the signs.


Tuesday....sick in bed


Wednesday....back in for blood work....still not good but I could try for 24 more hours at home


Thursday...started to run over 102 & threw up about 9ish (2 of the signs). So off we went to the hospital.


Friday...The surgeon told me if he did the surgery I needed right then I would be on a colostomy bag for 3-6 months. He wanted to wait and see if we could get a hold on things with drugs and then do the surgery at a better time.


Saturday....Had to have 2 unit of blood transfused due to the super low blood counts, from the bleed in my colon.


Sunday....lot's of morphine and a little jello.


Monday...feeling some better but still needing morphine...more jello


Tueday...want to go home but no doctor to be found. Finally around 3ish he came in and checked me out. He said I was well enough to go home, but still need more drugs and still have to have surgery.


So here's were we stand. I go back next Friday to make sure the infection is under control and to schedule a scope of my colon (i think) After that we will know when and how evasive the surgery will be. Pray that I can avoid full blow abdominal sugary & that they will only have to remove a few inches from my colon. He hopes it will only be 5 or 6 inches, but he said it could be as many as 15.


The biggest blessing is that we have found the answer to the 2 health problems that have been beating me up for months & with the Lord (and my amazing families) help I will soon be free of all of it!


Ok, now on to happier news! On the same day I got my bad news...I also received some of the happiest news of all...


IT'S A GIRL!!!

Her name is Emily Rose and she is my new niece by way of Derek and Valerie. I was so shocked that it was a girl I almost passed out! I can't wait to meet little Emily Joy!

9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're home! I heard about you being in the hospital and got the low down from Bekah. We were planning on coming for a visit but we all had a cold and I didn't figure you wanted that on top of everything else. We will continue to keep you in our prayers.

    Okay, how long is the colon?-both of those measurements sounds like a lot! Let us know if we can help in anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am so glad that you are home. I have and will continually place you at the Lord's feet. He is so amazingly merciful!!! I am so thankful that they finally found out what in the world was the trouble. We miss you dearly when you're beautiful face is not at the front door on Sunday mornings! Hang in there chick!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok so I forgot to sign my name......I am old and new at this blogging thing. Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so thankful you are home & doing so much better. I miss not seeing you at church. Even though I'm not sure if you know who I am, ha!!! I'm Jessica M's mommy. I've been praying for you & your family while they have had to carry on with you being so sick. Brandon did a great job as usually with the music on Sunday morning but I know his heart was heavy with worry about you. Anyway, praise be to God that you are home & doing so much better. Look forward to hearing all about your new babies to soon join your family. Best wishes, Karen Barnes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom was telling me about this, I am so sorry you are going thru all of this!!! I told her about you having chicken pox a week or so back and she said, how do you know?You don't go to FBC anymore... I went on to explain blogging.. She was lost.. haha... I have been thinking of you and I'm praying for you! I hope they can find a way to fix the problem without the surgery! But if you have to have the surgery, I hope that it will fix the problem and you will be as good as new!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cassie,

    My dad just had a colon re-section done a few months ago. They removed a foot, but he felt SO much better. It took about 2 years for doctors to figure out that this was what was causing him to have so much pain. I'm glad you home, and we'll pray that doctors have wisdom in getting you healed. - Christy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cassie! Feel better soon! I will be praying for you!

    I don't know what Brandon is doing without you...McDonalds every night?!?!?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! You just always have to have some kind of drama, don't you? :) Really though, I'm so glad you are feeling better. What an awful week you guys had. Praying that the surgery will be as low-key as possible and you will be back 100% soon.

    Congrats on the NIECE!! Now you can have fun buying all things pink and frilly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you are home! I'll be praying the surgery is quick and gets everything taken care of! By the way...anytime you want to watch "Little Women" I'll come over and watch it with you! We can lock all the boys in their rooms.

    ReplyDelete