
It all started when the boys and I left the house at 7:05 this morning. We had to get out the door early so I could get all the boys to school and still get to work by 8. Bran is out of town, so this morning was all me. Well, I usually lock the door as I head to the car, so the last boy out the door can just pull it shut. Just as Cade pulled the door shut I realized my keys were still on the table. For a moment I was ok because I have a spare key hidden outside, but then I remembered that key was just inside the locked door waiting to be returned to its "safe" hiding place.
So, to recap...we are locked out and Bran is in Little Rock. Then I turn around to get my cell phone and notice my tire is flat. Yes, flat as a pancake! I wanted to smack Boston when he said "mom, the only thing that would make this day worse would be if it started to rain."
Ok, so now we're locked out, have a flat tire and have simply no hope of being on time for anything at this point. I decided the first plan of action was to check all the windows and just hope one was unlocked. None were. BUT, when we got to my window I noticed that when I pushed up on it something was loose. Both locks were in place, but the little latch that you flip to pull the window out to clean was not fully engaged. This made it possible for me to push with all my weight and open up a 3 inch gap in one corner of the window. Boston was able to get his arm and a stick into the gap. It took a full hour, but we finally did it! I pushed the window, Boston worked the lock, Cade held the ladder and Riley kept the dogs in check. NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL TEAMWORK!!
After we got the window open it was time to take care of the tire. Thank the Lord my Grandpa taught me to change tires long before I even get my license. I got the tire off and was just about to put the spare on, when Riley stood up and said "here mom, let me push it for you" before I knew what he was doing he had pushed the front bumper... and over went the jack! I almost had a heart attack.
When it was all said and done, we had the tire changed, the house open & were all filthy from top to bottom. Oh ya, Boston's wrists were all scraped up just below his palms, so he went to school with his wrists bandaged up like a blotched suicide attempt.
Oh, and then...while we were on the way to school I got freaked out when I started hearing a banging noise coming from the outside of the car. I was pretty sure the wheel was going to come off at any moment. Just about the time I was ready to pull over and call a tow truck I realized the noise was just the wire thing that holds the spare up under the van. I had forgot to wind it up after pulling off the spare.
Needless to say, we all survived and are able to laugh about it. Thank the Lord!

Really who needs a man around anyway. HaHa. It looks like you have things under control while the man is away.
ReplyDeleteI probably would have needed help changing the tire. Never have had to do that.
GIRL!!!! You should have called me!! I could have run you all where you needed to go then fixed it all later! You better remember you have a good neighbor like State Farm over here! God teaches you all kind of good lessons when you least expect (or want them)!
ReplyDeletelove ya!
Thankfully, what you heard was just the thing that holds the tire up!For a second there, I thought you were going to tell us that you forgot one of the boys and that sound was his cleats running along side the care to keep up! :) (Mema)
ReplyDelete