Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A bird and "his" feeder


I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but just in case I forgot too...I have the most amazing 9 feet wide picture window in my living room! Anyway, if you read my blog you know that we have many feathered visitors in the tree right outside the window. After a little online research I discovered that if I wanted to have more birds I could add a feeder. So I went with a hummingbird feeder. After I put it out on Monday I was a little disappointed when I saw no hummingbirds. Even Tuesday I kept a keen I out for the little buggers. Nothing. Well, fast forward to today. All morning as I cleaned house I kept getting a glimpse of something flying back and forth in front of the window. When I finally got a better look I thought it was 2 of those giant locust type bugs chasing each other. It wasn't until I set in down for a few minutes to enjoy my window that I realized those "locust" were really hummingbirds. And they weren't just flying around for fun...no, it seems that one particular hummingbird has decided that this feeder is his and his alone. I haven't actually seen him drink from it yet, because he's simply too busy chasing all the others away to have time for a sip. It took a while, but I finally got a great shot of him guarding "his" feeder. I can't wait for the boys to get home so they can meet out little friend!

3 comments:

  1. Read "our new pets" on my blog! They are sooo funny to watch! Quite an amazing creation of aerodynamics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet!! I'm glad you have a new friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassie, Wasn't it YOU who told me several years ago that a sign of old age is GETTING A BIRD FEEDER and bird watching? Yes, I do believe it WAS you. I cracked up when I read your blog--and yes, I STILL enjoy my back yard birds. I'll loan you my bird identification book--I'm sure you'll enjoy it with the embroidered blanket strung across your lap. Love you--your favorite mother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete